Nike Korea turned to Jean-Yves to photograph the new Breakdancing team, who will be competing at the Olympics in Paris 2024.
Photographer: Jean-Yves Lemoigne c/o Making Pictures
At the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics, breakdancing competitions were held for the very first time. And in Paris, the time has finally come : At the 2024 Olympics in Paris, B-boys and B-girls will break for Olympic medals for the first time. The next huge milestone for a thus officially recognized sport, which originated – before taking the world by storm – in the urban jungle of the Bronx.
NIKE Korea called upon Jean-Yves LEMOIGNE c/o MAKING PICTURES to immortalize the Team Korea breakdancing crew with a spot on its way to the 2024 Olympics in Paris. And the campaign claim ‘Own The Floor’ nails it – perfect moves by highly concentrated athletes. Because : Korea loves breaking.
The South Korean Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism has already promoted breakdancing as a prominent part of the nation’s cultural life, and a number of government-sponsored breakdancing competitions are held each year. All the more demanding is the sport when it comes to skill. Without years of training put into perfecting their moves, dancers don’t stand a chance.
How the breakdancing competitions will work, we read on ispo.com : “A total of two medal decisions are planned – one for the men, one for the women. In each case, sixteen B-boys and sixteen B-girls will compete in solo battles. In each battle, the two participants take turns in what are referred to as throw downs. One throw down lasts 60 seconds, during which the participants get a chance to impress the jury with their moves.
The jury will then award a score based on six criteria : creativity, personality, technique, versatility, performance, and musicality. Technique, performance and creativity account for 60 percent of the total score, while the other three make up 40 percent. Whoever has the highest score wins and moves on to the next round of the competition.”
GoSee : olympics.com & making-pictures.com